A school in Jackson, Mississippi is undergoing a major change. It is dropping their long standing school name in favor of one that celebrates recent history. Davis International Baccalaureate Elementary School in Jackson was named decades ago for Jefferson Davis, the first and only president of the Confederate States of America. Now the school will receive a new name that celebrates the first African American president of the United States of America , Barack Obama.
The renaming of Davis International Baccalaureate Elementary School, along with two other schools in the district, has been a topic of conversation for quite awhile. The school is 98% African American and the district as a whole is 96% African American, it just didn't seem right that all three schools kept their Confederate names, considering the history.
As far as the renaming goes, it was a three week process to narrow it down to choosing the Barack Obama name. Students in each class, from kindergarten through fifth grade, conducted research and presented it at a school assembly. Fourth- and fifth-graders oversaw an election with students, teachers and staff casting paper ballots at school. Parents could vote on campus or by absentee ballot.
Janelle Jefferson, the PTA president, announced the planned change at a school board meeting Tuesday. "The students had overwhelming support for President Obama," Jefferson told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "We wanted to be very inclusive and transparent in the process to be fair, to make sure everybody felt like they had a voice," Jefferson said.
Jed Oppenheim, a school board member, said people have been asking for years why three schools in a majority African-American district are still named for Confederate figures. In mid-September, the board authorized the PTA at each of the three schools to set new names.
The two other schools in the district are George Elementary, named for James Zachariah George who signed Mississippi's secession ordinance and drafted the state constitution that denied voting rights to black citizens, and Lee Elementary, named for Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. Both schools will also receive a name change, but no name has been approved for them yet.
As for the now Obama International Baccalaureate Elementary School, it is a magnet school meaning that students must test highly to be admitted. State rankings released Tuesday show it was the top academic performer of all elementary and middle schools in Mississippi for 2016-17. Truly something the students should be proud of.
Next month, Chicago will be host to the first Obama Foundation Summit. The event will include a concert on the final day, and it will be headlined by Chicago's own Chance The Rapper.
Chance announced Friday (October 13) that he will not only headline the final day's concert, but he is assisting in curating the show, which will be live streamed on the Foundation’s website.
Other performers include Gloria Estefan and indie rock band, The National.
The Obama Foundation’s two-day summit begins on the Oct. 31 and will bring together “civic leaders from around Chicago, the U.S. and the world” to “exchange ideas, explore creative solutions to common problems” as well experiencing art, technology, and music “from around the world.”
In addition, the event hopes to inspire those in attendance (and watching online) to make a “positive impact in their own communities.”
Donald Trump is to address the annual conference of an anti-LGBT group which has been classified as a hate group.
The US president will become the first sitting president to address social conservative activists and elected officials at the Value Voters Summit in Washington DC on Friday (October 13).
President Trump has addressed the event which is hosted by the Family Research Council three times in total and did so last year as the Republican presidential candidate.
The Family Research Council opposes and actively lobbies against equal rights for LGBT persons. The conservative Christian group campaigns against same-sex marriage, same-sex civil unions, LGBT adoption, abortion, embryonic stell-cell research, pornography and divorce.
Every year the conference sparks controversy for its choice of speakers and in 2010 the Southern Poverty Law Centre, a legal advocacy organisation which specialize in civil rights, went so far as to classify the Family Research Council as an anti-gay hate group.
Read more at the Independent.
By: Kevin Gray
If you thought that Chance The Rapper was done with his efforts to help children in Chicago get the best education, you were very wrong. Chance is still at it and today (October 10) he found a new partner in his mission, the ride-sharing company, Lyft.
Lyft announced today that they will be donating coins to the artist’s New Chance: Arts & Literature Fund in a clever way. Lyft users can donate by rounding up their fare via the Round Up & Donate feature. Lyft will then automatically take the nearest dollar made and donate it to the cause. Resources for the foundation are designed to counter the city’s declining graduation rates with art programs and helpful resources for students.
Since its launch in May, Round Up and Donate has partnered with organizations like the ACLU, USO, Girls Who Code, Habitat for Humanity and World Wildlife Foundation. Other celebs with charities in the program include Nicki Minaj, Demi Lovato and Laverne Cox.
Learn more about the New Chance: Arts & Literature Fund here.
Chicago's Midway Airport is about to be a lot more user-friendly. It's all thanks to a massive $323 million modernization project that started Friday (October 6). It includes a new security checkpoint and bridge expansion, and is slated to be finished in 2019.
The security pavilion will be 80,000 square feet. It will allow for more security lanes, enhanced technology, and a single checkpoint system that will double TSA screening capacity.
The best part is, there is no planned cost to the taxpayers.
The White House announced Friday that President Trump had accepted the resignation of beleaguered Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price.
Press secretary Sarah Sanders released a statement saying that Price had submitted his resignation earlier Friday and Trump had accepted it. She added that Don J. Wright of Virginia, deputy assistant secretary for health and director of the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, will take over as acting head of Health and Human Services, now the second Cabinet department without a permanent confirmed secretary, following John Kelly’s move from Homeland Security to White House chief of staff.
Price wrote in his resignation letter that he regretted “that the recent events have created a distraction from these important objectives.”
Politico reported earlier in September that Price had been chartering private planes for travel, breaking a precedent with previous Health and Human Services chiefs. Among the flights was a $25,000 trip from Washington, D.C., to Philadelphia — a trip that takes 2.5 hours driving or 90 minutes via Amtrak — and an $18,000 visit to Nashville that included 90 minutes of work and a lengthy lunch with his son.
Price released a statement Thursday saying he would repay the treasury for the flights, but his department later told media outlets that he would pay just the prorated cost of his own seats — about $52,000 — not the whole expense of the charters, which cost more than $400,000. (He was generally accompanied by aides and security personnel who flew with him.) Following his statement, Politico further reported that Price had spent an additional $500,000 of taxpayer funds using military planes while traveling with his wife in Europe and Asia.
Price was appointed by Trump after more than a decade in Congress, where he represented Georgia’s Sixth District. He served as chair of the House Budget Committee from 2015 to 2017.
After a weekend spent tweeting about the NFL and NBA, President Trump saved his biggest announcement for Sunday evening. President Trump signed a new proclamation with new restrictions on entry to the U.S. for eight different countries.
The new rules, which will impact the citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen, will go into effect on October 18.
The restrictions rage from full travel bans on nationals from countries like Syria to more targeted restrictions. A suspension of non-immigrant visas to citizens for Venezuela, for instance, applies only to senior government officials and their immediate families.
The announcement comes the same day as Trump's temporary ban on visitors from six Muslim-majority countries is set to expire, 90 days after it went into effect. That ban had barred citizens of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen who lack a "credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States" from entering the U.S.
"As President, I must act to protect the security and interests of the United States and its people," reads the proclamation.
Officials stressed that valid visas would not be revoked as a result of the proclamation. The order also permits, but does not guarantee, case-by-case waivers .
As the Caribbean and Southeastern United States continue to recover from the devastation of Hurricanes Irma and Maria, Facebook and it's user are stepping up in a big way.
As with relief efforts when Hurricane Harvey hit Texas and the gulf area, Facebook has vowed to match any donations for Hurricane Irma and Maria relief made to the Save the Children organization up to $1 million. Donations made through the Save the Children Facebook page or posts on users’ News Feeds count toward the total, and all fees are being waived on those donations.
Save the Children is providing shelter, food, water and other short-term needs to victims across the Caribbean, as well as long-term support.
Victims in the Southeastern U.S. are also receiving health kits and support.
Today (September 15) a federal judge in Chicago ruled in favor of Chicago and blocked the Trump administration's rules requiring so-called sanctuary cities to cooperate with immigration agents in order to get a public safety grant. While Chicago was the city bring the suit, the effects will be felt nationwide as the injunction covers all sanctuary cities.
U.S. District Judge Harry Leinenweber held that Chicago has shown a "likelihood of success" in its arguments that U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions exceeded his authority in imposing new standards governing Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grants across the country. He also stated that the city could suffer "irreparable harm" if the city were to give into the U.S. Department of Justice's new standards.
The ruling comes a little more than a month after the Emanuel administration filed suit against the Justice Department over its new requirements for sanctuary cities that want federal funding to give notice when immigrants in the country illegally are about to be released from custody and allow immigration agents access to local jails.
The new regulations, announced by Sessions in July, would also require local authorities to give 48 hours' notice "where practicable" before releasing from custody people who federal immigration agents suspect of being in the country illegally.
And Another Obama Era Policy Bites The Dust: Jeff Sessions Officially Announces Trump’s Decision To End DACA
On Tuesday morning (Sept. 5), Attorney General of the United States Jeff Sessions announced Donald Trump has decided to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals immigration (DACA) policy, the Obama-era program that granted immigrants who came here as minors a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation.
This in turn granted said undocumented individuals the eligibility for work permit and the opportunity to pursue education. It is still unclear as to why POTUS didn’t himself issue the official announcement.
In Trump’s plan to phase out DACA, Congress has a six-month window to alter those plans and perhaps enact new protection for DREAMers. The policy to be implemented by the current administration is as follows, according to ABC News: