The world of music and the world of professional wrestling are no strangers. Whether it's the Rock N' Wrestling days of the 80's, the heavy metal of the Attitude Era, or Hip Hop's current obsession with the squared circle, pro wrestling and music go together like Money in the Bank. So when the Undertaker showed up to a Post Malone concert in Austin, Texas, it was no big surprise, but what we were treated to may have been.
In what seemed like a prerecorded back stage segment, Post Malone ran into the Deadman only to be greeted with one of his signature moves. As the Undertaker turned around, he grabs Post Malone by the throat and chokeslams him to hell as the cameras go out. You can check the video out below.
Later in the night, the Deadman returned to hit the stage with fellow guest, rapper 21 Savage. Together they teamed up with Malone to smash some guitars on stage.
It looks like WWE 2K19 is on track to be truly "Phenomenal."
According to reports from Pro Wrestling Sheet, 2KSports and the WWE have chose current WWE Champion AJ Styles to grace the cover of WWE 2K19. In addition to the cover star being named, the pre-order DLC is said to be none other than Rowdy Ronda Rousey.
Apparently, both Styles and Rousey were part of a cover reveal commercial shoot this past week in Memphis. You may recall that the WWE did the same thing last year with cover star Seth Rollins and DLC superstar Kurt Angle.
In addition to those names being revealed, it was also reported that WCW/WWE legend Rey Mysterio was also present for the shoot. Mysterio most recently has wrestled for New Japan, but he did take part in both the Royal Rumble and the Greatest Royal Rumble this year.
An official announcement with more game details is expected this coming Monday (June 18).
In a major from ESPN, it is being reported that the WWE has agreed to air SmackDown Live on Fox starting in October of 2019. The deal is reportedly for 5 years and $1.025 Billion ($205 Million/year). The will also reportedly move the air date to Friday night. This amount is three times what NBCUniversal pays to air SmackDown Live on the USA network.
The move for now will only affect SmackDown Live. The WWE reportedly reached a deal with NBCUniversal last week to continue airing Monday Night Raw on USA network. There's no word yet on how this will affect shows like NXT or 205 Live, which currently both air on the WWE Network.
With WWE’s Money In The Bank (MiTB) PPV just under five weeks away, the card is just starting to take shape. We already know four of the eight participants in the men’s MITB match, and two of the eight women. Now we are starting to get an idea of the rest of the card.
While the WWE is touring Europe, two major title matches have been announced. The first one was a no-brainer as SmackDown Live commissioner announce a rematch between AJ Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura for the WWE Championship. While no stipulations have been announced yet, I am sure one will be added to ensure a clear winner.
The second match added may come as a bit of a shocker as Nia Jax will defend her Raw Women’s Championship against Ronda Rousey. The match came about after Jax issued a challenge to Rousey because she wants to prove herself against the best.
By Kevin Gray
A few years ago, if you were to tell me that the name Hulk Hogan would be taboo in the WWE, I would have said you're nuts. Hogan was and should still be a bigger than the industry icon and the WWE is the main reason why. Whether he was telling kids in the 80's to "Say your prayers, take your vitamins, and you'll never go wrong," or telling adults in the 90's that he was bringing in the "New World Order of Wrestling, Brother," the name Hogan was just always going to be around. Hogan even found away to sneak back in after WWE bought WCW, and he had a decent run then too. Hogan was destined to be an ambassador of the WWE 4 Life, but one word uttered during a night full of bad decisions caught on tape has proven to be his downfall. Some have said he would never recover from it, but the reality is, everyone is ready to welcome him back but Hogan himself continues to push himself away.
If you can't remember, or just choose to forget, what led to Hogan's latest fall from grace, and he has had quite a few over the years, it all stems from a sex tape that was obtained by Gawker and shown to the world. The tape, which was shared on the internet illegally, violating Hogan's right to privacy, triggered a huge lawsuit that Hogan would eventually win. The cost to Gawker was over $110 million, the cost to Hogan was far greater. During the trial, it was leaked that the fact that Hogan was recorded having sex with his best friend's wife wasn't the worse thing about the tape. As he and the woman involved had a conversation, Hogan explained his frustration over who is daughter chose to date. Below is what Hogan said, according to transcripts of the tape:
“I don’t know if Brooke was f*cking the black guy’s son,” Hulk raved, the sources add.
“I mean, I don’t have double standards. I mean, I am a racist, to a point, f*cking n*ggers. But then when it comes to nice people and sh*t, and whatever.” ...
According to sources, he said: “I mean, I’d rather if she was going to f*ck some n*gger, I’d rather have her marry an 8-foot-tall n*gger worth a hundred million dollars! Like a basketball player!
“I guess we’re all a little racist. Fucking n*gger.”
Shortly after that transcript was released, Hogan was too, as the WWE terminated his contract. They even went as far as removing him from their Hall of Fame. It made sense at the time, still does today, but time usually heals all wounds. Over the past few months, the WWE has teased us with Hogan mentions and sayings, video footage and more. The WWE clearly wants him back, the wrestlers seem to want him back, and I believe fans want him back. So why isn't he back? Simply put, Hogan hasn't learned his lesson, and until he does, he will never truly be welcomed back.
Some may say he has learned from his mistakes, but if Hogan has, why does he continue to make the same one over and over again.
Recently, soon to be Hall-of-Famer Mark Henry said Hulk Hogan needs to apologize to the black wrestlers for his use of such a hurtful term. How did Hogan take this easy offer from one of WWE's most influential voices, he spit right in Henry's face. Hogan responded to Henry through TMZ saying he knows he must apologize, but not just to the black wrestlers, to all wrestlers. Hogan had a chance to do something good to kick off his road to redemption, but he instead decided that when someone essentially said "Black Wrestlers Matter", Hogan couldn't wait to reply with "No, All Wrestlers Matter." Within all of this, after almost three years, the one thing we still haven't got is a formal apology, to anyone.
When it's all said and done, I hope Hulk Hogan is once again a member of the WWE family. Hogan is the reason why my love of wrestling started, and for that I am forever grateful. He was an essential part of my childhood, just like many other fans out there, and missing him being around is ok. As much as we may want the WWE to embrace the Red & Yellow again, we have to understand that at this point, it may never happen. The WWE is a publicly traded company and does not want to align themselves with unapologetic racist. At the end of the day, no mater what he tries to say, Hogan is just that, he's unapologetic (it shouldn't take three years to say sorry) and he's a racist (by his own words). The WWE just doesn't have room for that in today's world.
Maybe things will change, maybe Hogan will see the light, but the ball is in his court. Only he can take the next step on this road to redemption. So I ask you, Mr. Hogan, What you gonna do, Brother!
With Wrestlemania just around the corner (April 8), some of New Orleans finest are getting into the spirit of the season by playing music throughout the city.
Watch the video below to see The Soul Rebels as they march through New Orleans while playing WWE theme songs of John Cena, Charlotte Flair, Kurt Angle and more.
WWE chairman and CEO Vince McMahon stunned the sports media world by announcing he’s giving professional football a second try. Less than a week after making an appearance on the 25th anniversary broadcast of WWE Monday Night Raw, McMahon announced the creation of the new XFL.
While the new XFL will use the same name of the league McMahon and NBC tried for one season in 2001, it won’t rely on flashy cheerleaders and antics as its predecessor did, he said. McMahon said he is the sole funding source for the league, which is slated to begin in January 2020.
Plans call for eight teams with 40-player rosters in cities to be determined, with four teams making the playoffs. The season will begin in late January or early February and run for 10 weeks. No broadcast or streaming deals are in place as yet.
He added that there would be no crossover of WWE talent into the league and that he would not be the frontman of the new league as he was with the original. He went on to say that XFL games would have a faster pace and his goal was to get them to two hours. In addition, McMahon stated that the league would be a single entity and would not use the franchise model.
Independent wrestling star Ricochet has officially joined the WWE. The 29 year-old high-flyer reported to the WWE Performance Center for the first time today (Jan. 16). He brings with him all the experience one would expect from a 14-year veteran of the business.
Ricochet is no stranger to winning as he has a healthy resume that includes being a two-time winner of Pro Wrestling Guerrilla’s annual Battle of Los Angeles tournament, the second American in history to win New Japan Pro Wrestling’s Best of the Super Juniors tournament (Eddie Guerrero was the first), PWG World Champion, Lucha Underground Champion, World Series Wrestling heavyweight champion and more.
Standing 5-foot-9 and weighing 188 pounds, Ricochet brings an astonishing assortment of aerial moves to the ring. He first earned notoriety in Japan for an eye-popping double-moonsault, and his 630° senton remains one of the most potent weapons in his arsenal.
His inclusion in the WWE Universe should be one that fans of all kinds will enjoy for years to come.
According to a report by PWInsider.com, Paige is done as an in-ring performer with the WWE.
In a situation described as similar to WWE Hall of Famer Adam "Edge" Copeland's medical disqualification from the ring, WWE star Paige (Saraya-Jade Bevis, 25 years old) was informed this week that she will not be cleared to return to the ring after her most recent in-ring injury, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources.
During a six woman tag team bout on 12/28/17 at the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, Long Island, Paige had her back to Sasha Banks, who was behind her against the turnbuckles. Banks used the ropes to pull herself up and kicked with both legs into Paige's back. Paige, obviously not ready for the bump, went down. She tried to get up but could not get her legs under her, finally did get up and turned to grab Banks, immediately falling down again and rolling over to her back, where she stayed. The referee checked on her and called for the bell. She was examined by WWE medical personnel and a stretcher was brought to ringside to transport her back to the locker room. After several minutes, Paige walked out under her own power.
It was believed at the time that Paige had suffered a stinger, leading to her losing feeling in her extremities. Given her previous neck surgery, WWE pulled her from the ring and set up further testing that led to this week's decision.
Obviously, this injury couldn't have come ate a worse time for Paige. Having just comeback from a hiatus of over a year due to a different neck injury, Paige has come back with a lot of momentum and a huge push with her group, Absolution. She, like the rest of the women's division, was also preparing for the first-ever women's Royal Rumble, which she will now have to miss.
One would assume the company will devise a way to write her out of the Rumble match without any physicality, similar to how Daniel Bryan is not allowed to be involved in anything physical in his current role as SmackDown Live General Manager.
The WWE has yet to confirm these reports, but we will keep you posted if more information comes out.
On Tuesday's (Dec. 26) SmackDown Live in Chicago, Illinois, GM Daniel Bryan announced that there would be a tournament for the U.S. Title that Dolph Ziggler appeared to have relinquished the week before. On that show, we saw Bobby Roode defeat Baron Corbin and Jinder Mahal defeat Tye Dillinger to advance to the semi-finals. What was still unknown was the other four participants in the tourney, until now.
Cathy Kelly revealed the other four participants via WWE Now video on Youtube. The other four superstars are Zack Ryder, Mojo Rawley, Xavier Woods and Aiden English. Rawley will battle Ryder in the first round and Woods will take on English. Those matches should take place next week but there is no word on when the semi-final and final matches would be held.