Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Yannick Ngakoue was slapped with a $13,369 fine by the NFL for invoking an infamous comedy sketch while celebrating a sack in a preseason win over the Minnesota Vikings.
Inspired by Hingle McCringleberry, a fictitious receiver made famous in a "Key & Peele" comedy sketch, Ngakoue gave three pelvic thrusts after making the sack and was hit with an excessive celebration penalty on the field.
In the comedy sketch, McCringleberry is penalized for doing the same thing, despite the rule book dictating that two pelvic thrusts was the maximum allowed.
Following the game, Ngakoue said he didn't realize he would draw a penalty or that it was considered an obscene gesture.
"I did not know that would be a penalty, but you know, it is what it is," said Ngakoue. "You learn from it, and you got to move forward."
Ngakoue, 23, is in the third year of a four-year, $3.48 million deal and will make $735,101 this season ... assuming he can keep his celebrations under control.
A third-round pick by the Jaguars in 2016, Ngakoue has 20 sacks, 10 forced fumbles and 53 tackles in 32 games (31 starts) as a pro.
Electronic Arts said Thursday (August 2) that the company did not purposely omit Colin Kaepernick's name from a song it licensed for its latest game.
The video game maker came under fire when it was discovered by a Twitter user that Kaepernick's name was censored from YG's song "Big Bank," which is used in the soundtrack for "Madden NFL 19."
"We made an unfortunate mistake with our Madden NFL soundtrack," EA said in a statement issued Thursday evening. "Members of our team misunderstood the fact that while we don't have rights to include Colin Kaepernick in the game, this doesn't affect soundtracks. We messed up, and the edit should never have happened. We will make it right, with an update to Madden NFL 19 on August 6 that will include the reference again. We meant no disrespect, and we apologize to Colin, to YG and Big Sean, to the NFL, to all of their fans and our players for this mistake."
Big Sean, who makes a guest appearance in the song and performs the verse that references Kaepernick, weighed in on Thursday before EA issued its statement. Kaepernick later thanked Big Sean in a tweet.
In the song, Kaepernick's name is referenced about halfway through Big Sean's verse when he says, "Feed me to the wolves, now I lead the pack and s---. You boys all cap, I'm more Colin Kaepernick."
Kaepernick drew attention to social inequality issues during the 2016 season by kneeling during the national anthem as a means of protest. He pursued free agency in 2017 but wasn't given a tryout. He filed a collusion suit against the league's 32 owners last October; the case is ongoing.
Tony Sparano, an NFL coach for nearly two decades, has died at age 56.
Sparano had been on the NFL sideline for 18 years including head coaching gigs with the Miami Dolphins and Oakland Riders. He was expected to enter another season as an assistant with the Minnesota Vikings when training camp began on Tuesday.
He was discovered unconscious at his home on Sunday morning, according to an ESPN report.
Sparano complained about chest pains this weekend and went to hospital Thursday. Doctors did tests, but released him Friday. He and his wife, Jeannette, were about to leave for church Sunday morning when she found him unconscious in their kitchen. She tried CPR, but he could not be revived.
Sparano is survived by his wife, Jeanette, his two sons and four grandchildren.
When the NFL holds it's annual Hall of Fame ceremony on August 4th, one new member of the Hall of Fame won't even get a mention. The NFL has decided that Terrell Owen's name will not be announced during either the Gold Jacket ceremony Friday or the induction ceremony Saturday. This is due to the controversial former wide receiver's decision to skip the ceremony.
Owens declined his invitation to the ceremony back in June after he failed to be voted in during his first two years on the ballot:
Instead of making the trip to Canton, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga product will be giving his Hall of Fame speech at his alma mater.
Owens' decision to skip the official induction ceremony is unprecedented. As a result, Hall of Fame President and CEO David Baker released a statement via Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk, to address the matter.
"We are disappointed but will respect Terrell's decision not to participate in the enshrinement," Baker said. "While unprecedented, the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the nearly 5,000 volunteers and the entire community are committed to celebrating the excellence of the class of 2018 that will kick off the NFL's 99th season."
Hall of Fame executive director Joe Horrigan also weighed in on the issue. "The focus is on the guys who are here," Horrigan said, via Talk of Fame Network's Clark Judge, adding: "There's no reason to bring him up as an individual. He's not here."
While Owens will not be a part of the official ceremony, he and seven other legends will achieve football immortality. Bobby Beathard, Robert Brazile, Brian Dawkins, Jerry Kramer, Ray Lewis, Randy Moss and Brian Urlacher will be inducted alongside Owens in the Class of 2018.
The NFL Players Association is filing a grievance against the NFL, challenging that the league's new national anthem policy "infringes on player rights."
The NFLPA announced this Tuesday morning, about six weeks after league owners informally voted to pass a policy that threatens fines for acts of protest on the sideline during the national anthem. Players have been invited to remain behind in the locker room as an alternative to taking action on the sideline.
"Our union filed its non-injury grievance today on behalf of all players challenging the NFL’s recently imposed anthem policy," the NFLPA wrote in its statement. "The union’s claim is that this new policy, imposed by the NFL’s governing body without consultation with the NFLPA, is inconsistent with the collective bargaining agreement and infringes on player rights.
"In advance of our filing today, we proposed to the NFL to begin confidential discussions with the NFLPA Executive Committee to find a solution to this issue instead of immediately proceeding with litigation. The NFL has agreed to proceed with those discussions and we look forward to starting them soon."
League owners first discussed the policy during their meetings in March and passed it without a formal vote during May meetings. Players and their union didn't have a part of creating this policy.
Source: 670 The Score
New England Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman is reportedly facing a four-game NFL suspension for a violation of the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.
Adam Schefter and Field Yates of ESPN reported the news Friday and noted the ban is in the appeal process.
Edelman missed the entire 2017 season after suffering a torn ACL during the preseason.
Edelman made 98 catches for 1,106 yards and three touchdowns while playing all 16 games in 2016. He's tallied 425 receptions for 4,540 yards and 24 scores since the Pats selected the converted quarterback in the seventh round of the 2009 draft.
If the suspension is upheld, Edelman would miss games against the Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins. He'd be eligible to return for the team's Week 5 clash with the Indianapolis Colts.
As the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers prepare for game four of the 2018 NBA Finals, they will have one less thing to worry about once a champion is crowned. Which ever team wins the NBA title (probably the Warriors at this point) won't have to worry about planning a trip to Washington D.C. to visit the White House.
Earlier today (June 8) President Trump announced that neither team will be invited to the White House, should they win the championship. This is the second time in a week that the president has uninvited a professional sports team to the White House. On Tuesday of this week (June 5), President Trump revoked the invite to 2018 NFL Champion Philadelphia Eagles after learning that only a handful of players were willing to come. This time, Trump is saying that neither NBA team would be invited after both LeBron James and Steph Curry said they would most likely skip the visit.
The WNBA’s Minnesota Lynx never received an invitation to Trump’s White House. The team chose instead to commemorate its 2017 championship with a day of community service in Washington D.C.
Members of last year’s NHL champion Pittsburgh Penguins and Major League Baseball champion Houston Astros attended White House ceremonies over the past eight months. At least one member of the newly crowd NHL champion Washington Capitals has said he will not accept an invite from Trump.
“The things that he spews are straight-up racist and sexist,” Capitals winger Devante Smith-Pelly said.
Trump also dis-invited the Warriors from a White House visit that was never planned following their NBA title victory last season, one day after Curry declared, “I don’t want to go.” A handful of players, including 2017 Finals MVP Kevin Durant, were also on record saying they would not attend if invited.
The NFL on Wednesday approved a new policy to intercept national anthem protests before they happen, according to the league.
The measure mandates that players who are on the field must stand for the national anthem but can remain in the locker room if they choose.
Teams could be fined by the league if their players sit or kneel, as many have done in protest of racial injustice and police brutality in recent seasons after NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s initial kneeling protest in 2016 earned nationwide attention.
The fining or punishment of players and other personnel would be dictated by the individual teams.
The NFL Players Association criticized the league for failing to consult with the union on the matter.
“Our union will review the new ‘policy’ and challenge any aspect of it that is inconsistent with the collective bargaining agreement,” the union said.
This article originally appeared on Huffpost.
As the NFL owners meet in Atlanta this week, one of the major decisions on the table is where will the league hold the 2019 NFL Draft. From 1964 to 2014, there was never a question about where the NFL would hold it's annual event that sees the top collegiate football players learn where they will play for the foreseeable future. The draft would always be held in New York City. Chicago was the lucky city to be the first non-NYC host as they held the showcase in 2015 and 2016. Philadelphia hosted in 2017 and Dallas was the most recent host in 2018.
Now as the question of where pops up again, the city of Nashville, Tennessee, home of the Tennessee Titans, looks to be the 2019 favorite.
In February, the NFL announced five finalists to host either the 2019 or 2020 draft: Nashville, Denver, Cleveland/Canton, Kansas City and Las Vegas.
Per the report, the league isn't looking for a "buttoned-up draft." The NFL wants its prospective host cities to "reinvent the wheel" in its plans for the draft and to put together an event that takes on the "personality of its host city.
Nashville seems like the perfect venue as it is a great mix of sports town and entertainment city. Despite the NFL saying they really didn't think music was necessary to lure in fans, Nashville promises that if they host, music will be a major part of the deal. Simply put, other cities can't do music like Nashville can.
CBS and NBC’s run of broadcasting Thursday Night Football games is over, as Fox Sports has landed rights to the NFL’s Thursday night package for the next five years.
The agreement encompasses 11 regular-season games between weeks four and 15 (excluding Thanksgiving night, which NBC will continue to broadcast).
Fox will produce 18 games in total, seven of which will be broadcast solely on NFL Network. Fox will gain some rights to distribute both its Thursday and Sunday games to Fox subscribers over mobile phones and other digital outlets, but the NFL retains rights to find a digital partner to livestream the Thursday games. The league expects to name one over the course of the next few weeks.
Fox will pay more than $3 billion, according to sources, which puts the deal in the $650 million-per-season neighborhood. Fox will shell out roughly $60 million a game, up from the $45 million a game CBS and NBC were paying.